According to court documents, Roy Reese said he bought two gallons of raw milk from Swan Bros. and took them home.
He and his wife, Waunita, drank about two-thirds of the milk during June 2021.
Documents say Waunita began feeling weak and had trouble walking and getting out of bed without assistance. Roy took her to the emergency room on June 22, 2021, where she was diagnosed with listeria poisoning.
After 10 days in the hospital, Waunita died.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services tested the Reese’s milk from Swan Bros., which detected listeria.
Swan Bros. issued a statewide recall of its milk products early July 2021 due to the confirmed detection of listeria.
Documents show as many as 10 other people who drank Swan Bros. milk in the same time period also became sick.